Monday, January 22, 2007

I watched a documentary last week on the Pixies' reunion tour called Loudquietloud. I generally stay away from concert tour films because they tend to be rather a one-dimensional homage to glory of the subject without much insight or narrative development, charges of which this film is pretty guilty. But it was on TV on a quiet night and I wanted to see if it would have any clips of the rockin' show I went to in Montreal two years ago. (It didn't.)

Here are some of the things I learned:
-Everyone in the group really, really appreciated the revenue that came from going on tour.
-Frank Black is now Middle-Age Man with the family and the interest in recording solo old-timey Nashville twang. He's also really paunchy and has ferocious man-boobs.
-Kim Deal is trying oh-so-hard to stay sober.
-David Loverling is so much less cool than I ever could have imagined a drummer for an alt-rock band could be. He has a kind of avuncular charm to his cheesy semi-pro magic act, but the way he pops happy pills and spaces out is kinda uncomfortable to watch.

Anyway, there are a few good tunes, of course. But I still haven't seen a concert documentary that is as entertaining as the mockumentary of Spinal Tap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home