Monday, April 09, 2007

Open letter to CBC Radio Two

Dear CBC:

It has now been three weeks since your primary music station underwent a re-formatting. As an avid listener at all strange hours of the day and week, I feel I should give you some feedback.

First, let me say that I support your decision to keep the steady mix of classical and et cetera music during weekday mornings and afternoons. Dropping the hourly news updates was also a good idea. And kudos for dumping the soporific “Jazz After Hours” for a livelier jazz program. I haven’t listened to Canada Live yet, but it seems like an interesting mix. I like most of the music selections on “The Signal,” but it may be a little too “adult contemporary” at times and I could definitely do with far less inane chatter in between songs. In fact, the persistent talking (after every piece?!) is my biggest complaint with most of your programs.

Now I understand that the makeover arose from a desire to target an audience that is not entirely senior citizens. That’s a commendable mission. But what I don’t get is why two great late-night pop shows for young’uns, “Brave New Waves” and Radio Three, had to get the boot. They will be sorely missed for all the interesting new stuff that they regularly expose me to. It’s bad enough that they just vanished – well, I guess Radio Three is still online and on Sirius – but “Nightstream” is a pretty sorry replacement.

Last night something lamentable happened. I had on “Nightstream” in the background and didn’t really notice what was happening until I recognized a lot of syrupy synthesizers and ambient wave noises and layers upon layers of new age-y vocal reverb. Then I recognized it was Enya. On CBC. Without irony.

I live in an Enya-free household, and I aim to keep it that way. So please, CBC, please bring back some late-night programs that aren’t afraid to use the medium to keep listeners awake.

If you need help in your programming department, I am still available to put my musicology degree to good use for your organization.

1 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, November 11, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home